Lake Fly Fishing Introduction

May 7, 2011

in Tips

Lake Fly Fishing - Intro

Here's one reason to fish a good lake.

Today we begin a short series of videos about lake fishing, featuring one of the deans of modern fly fishing in the Northwest – George Cook.

In addition to his day job repping Sage, Rio, Redington, Tibor and more, George hosts guests each year at Back to the Wall, a pair of private lakes in Eastern Washington formerly known as Isaac’s Ranch.  That’s the setting for our lake fishing videos.

Our introductory topic?  An introduction to lake fishing.  George covers these topics and more:

• Rods commonly used for lake fishing.
  • A bit about the new Rio Camolux line.
  • Techniques for stripping leech patterns, including the importance of keeping the rod tip in the water.
  • Rigging, leaders and tippet.
  • How to strip strike, and why you should.

NOTE: If you’re viewing this in a newsletter or a reader, click here for the lake fishing introduction on YouTube.

More Instructional Videos

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

NYCflyangler May 12, 2011 at 11:03 am

The last 00;30 seconds of audio on the clip is gone.

andrew May 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Sorry about that – technical difficulties! We’re working on getting it corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

Casey Blatt August 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm

This makes learning the sport a lot easier than trying to get my cousins to explain it. Gear for this type of extracurricular activity can be costly, CheapSally.com has a ton of great deals on quality fishing and camping gear for your next trip, check it out!

pat February 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm

thanks for the info, this was one of the best videos I have seen and I really appreciate it. I am not a good flyfisherman and I have been skunked the last 7 times I have gone, maybe more, but watching stuff like this really helps.

Jeff April 15, 2012 at 6:15 am

Nicely done. I enjoyed watching and hearing your comments about stripping. Spot on.

beau purvis March 8, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I am IN! Have been for a number of years! Love going to Georgie’s lakes! Can’t wait for April 18 to arive! The fish fight like steelhead…steelhead on a 2wgt ONE a couple years ago! I would go with no fish just to see the Georgie show!!