George Cook pays us another visit today in video form, this time to talk about what 22 lucky anglers are going to be doing a week from today – selecting flies to use when chasing king salmon at Alaska West on the Kanektok.
We filmed George in February of this year. He was looking forward to kings on the Kanektok back then…he’s pretty much a bundle of excitement right now.
With that, we present George Cook on king salmon fly selection.
NOTE: If you’re viewing this in a newsletter or a reader, click here to see George preach about king flies on YouTube.
Here are the highlights of what George covers.
- Different flies are applicable in different water conditions and at different parts of the season.
- Chartreuse is a great color for super fresh fish out of the salt.
- Pink is a good option in dirty water.
- As the fish head upriver, black and blue is a top choice.
- Later in the season in sunny, clear, low water conditions, smaller flies like various leech patterns come into play.
We’ve got just a few open spots available for our prime king weeks at Alaska West this summer. If you’re looking for a trip in the next 6 weeks or you’d like to get on our wait list for 2011, drop us a line!