Fishing for steelhead is fun. Catching steelhead is even more fun.
Here are 6 ways you can can more steelhead on flies. Let us know how you catch more!
6 Ways to Catch More Steelhead
- Fish the near water first. Steelhead can hold in really shallow water, really close to the bank. Always fish the near water before you go tromping through it.
- Fight them hard. The longer the fight lasts, the higher the chances of the hook pulling or the leader breaking or the line getting wrapped around a root wad. Shorter fights are easier on the fish too.
- Keep your fly in the water. Don’t waste time constantly changing flies or tips or trying to hit the perfect cast. Especially that last one – if your cast doesn’t sail exactly as you imagined, just mend it out, fish it as best you can, and keep on moving.
- Be patient on the hang-down. Hang-down eats are tough – if you get a grab directly below you, it’s probably best to let the fish grab it and run. More here.
- Actively fish your fly. Don’t just wing it out there and wait. More here.
- Believe! Never, ever lose the faith.
What else do you do to catch more steelhead? Leave a comment and let us know.