We have less than a month before we kick off our Alaska season and that means it won’t be long before we’ll be chucking big, gaudy, mouse patterns for our resident rainbow trout.
Mousing is by far our favorite way to target trout in our neck of the woods and one of our go-to patterns is the Mr. Hankey, developed on the banks of the Kanektok by Alaska West alum, Jeff Hickman.
The Mr. Hankey incorporates just about everything we like in a mouse pattern; it rides true, features a small up-riding hook for safer hook sets, and swims with a low profile in the water. But don’t take our word for it, read about it from the designer himself, here.
Some of you have asked for more detailed tying instructions for the Mr. Hankey, so today we offer you just that. Enjoy!
Mr. Hankey – Tying Instructions
- Thread: UTC 140 – Tan or Black
- Shank: Any Long Shanked Up-Eye Hook
- Stinger Hook: Owner SSW – Size 4
- Stinger Loop: 30 lb. Fireline or 25 lb. Maxima Chameleon
- Tail: Natural Zonker Cut Bunny Hide Trimmed of Fur
- Body: Natural Crosscut Bunny Strip
- Back: 1/8″ (3 mm) Closed Cell Foam Trimmed to Shape
- Legs: Round Rubber Legs
- Whiskers: Pearl Krystal Flash