At Andros South, we generally subscribe to the ‘big fish like big flies’ theory. Just ask long time Andros South guide, Josie Sands, what he likes in a bonefish fly.. “More meat” is likely what you’ll hear.
So, today we’re coming at you with a step by step for a popular bonefish pattern of the ‘meaty’ variety designed by Henry Cowen, the Bonefish Scampi.
By utilizing a rabbit zonker strip, the Bonefish Scampi creates a large profile (which we really like) while offering great movement in the water as well. It’s also a great pattern to get creative with, as virtually every material can substituted for a different color. Keep reading for the step by step instructions of our favorite color combination for South Andros.
Bonefish Scampi – Tying Instructions
- Hook: Daiichi 2546 or Tiemco 811s – Sz. 2-4.
- Thread: UTC 140 Denier – Fl. Fire Orange.
- Eyes: Silver Mini Lead Eyes OR Medium Silver Bead Chain Eyes.
- Tail: Medium Mylar Tubing – Pearl.
- Body: Flat Diamond Braid – Pearl.
- Wing: Rabbit Zonker Strip – Tan or Ginger.
- Over Wing: Craft Fur – Cream.
- Flash: Kyrstal Flash – Pearl.