It’s that time of year again!
We’re willing to bet that some of you may have landed on our humble little fishing blog after googling something along the lines of ‘gifts for fly fisherman’ for that special angler on your list.
Some of you might even be cruising the web for ideas of what to tell your spouse or siginificant other what to get you!
Regardless of your reasoning, today we present you with a list of gift ideas sure to impress any devout fly fisherman.
2016 Fly Fishing Gift Ideas
- A Passion for Permit – Book. A brand new, extremely comprhensive, two-volume book on the world’s most challenging species to target on a fly. It’s on your humble editor’s Christmas list this year too, and is sure to excite any serious flats angler – $150.00 for a two-volume set.
- Fishpond Dakota Carry On Rod and Reel Case. The ultimate carry on bag for the traveling angler. Read exactly why we like, here. $179.95 – $219.95.
- Dr. Slick Razor Scissors. Quality fly tying scissors are a must for every serious fly tyer. If the angler on your list ties flies, get them these, they won’t be dissapointed – $24.99.
- UE Boom 2 Portable Bluetooth (Waterproof) Speakers. No, its not fly fishing specific, but good tunes around the campfire after a day of fishing is god-sent. 100% waterproof and easy to travel with, this speaker is ideal for outdoor entusiasts. Case in point – nearly half of our staff at Alaska West own this speaker, and the other half wish they did – $179.00.
- Montana Fly Poly Boxes. There’s no such thing as too many fly boxes. How about a sturdy Poly Fly Box from Montana Fly Company, all featuring stunning artistic graphics from brook trout to bonefish for only $25.00.
- Hatch Premium Backing. Every fly fisherman uses backing, and we’d go out on a limb to say most don’t replace it as often as they should. Hatch backing has a thinner diameter than traditional 20 lb. Dacron, but feels somewhat similar, and offers an impressive breaking strength of 68 lbs! It’s pretty incredible stuff, and is a great gift for those who don’t want to risk losing their fly line ever again – $53.00 for 200 meters.
- Hydro Flask Travel Mug. For many anglers, the fishing day can’t start without coffee. The Hydro Flask Travel Mug sees just as many days on the water as we do. It’s tough, keeps liquids extremely hot (or cold), doesn’t leak, and can be opened with your teeth while on step. If you know someone that likes fishing and coffee, you can’t go wrong here – $29.95.
- Umpqua Bandolier ZS Sling Pack. A great minimalist’s wading pack. Works great on the flats, and holds just enough stuff, but not enough to bog you down. Great for the angler who likes to keep it simple – $69.95.
- Simms Wading Koozy. Do they like to fish? Do they like to drink beer? If so, it’s hard to go wrong with the Simms Wading Koozy for $12.95.
- A Trip of a Lifetime. Why not give them exactly what they want, like a trip of a lifetime to a world class destination! Alaska, British Columbia, Bahamas? Drop us a line for details. Heck, we’ll even help keep it a secret until the big day.