June first is here which means our crews at Rapids Camp and Alaska West are working on dialing in the last minute details before their seasons get underway! The month of June at both of our Alaska Lodges are completely booked up and that is for good reason. Here are 5 reasons why our guests love Alaska in June.
- Swinging Flies for King Salmon. I know we talk about this all the time but that is a great indicator of how much we love it!
- The Most Underrated Trout Fishing of the Year. The fish have survived a long winter and Mice and Sculpins are on the menu!
- New River Channels and Runs. Freshly carved out from the winter’s snowmelt leads to some new spots on the Kanektok for us to explore!
- The First Chum Salmon of the year arrive. Probably the single most underrated fish we target. In late June the Chums arrive to the dance and will put a bend in any King Salmon set up.
- Smolt Bust. Fishing towards busting bait and chasing birds is not just reserved for the salt. Every year staring in mid June, millions of Salmon smolt make their way downstream to the ocean. Here is where trout take advantage of this plentiful food source in the most aggressive way possible.
More From Early Season Alaska: