Last month Kellsey Perkins, the financial mastermind at Deneki Outdoors, joined a bunch of like-minded women at the International Women Fly Fishers’ annual festival. Here’s her report on the highlights.
IWFF Festival Report
I just returned from the International Women Fly Fishers Festival near Bozeman, MT along the Gallatin River. Amazing women, incredible experience. What a cool sport this is!
Here are some of my highlights:
- Having breakfast with two of the Casting for Recovery national directors and learning about that remarkable program. They host fly fishing retreats in almost every state for women who are fighting or who have survived breast cancer. The healing power of fly fishing was a common theme throughout the weekend.
- Attending the Warriers and Quiet Waters presentation – it was beautiful. They annually host a week of fly fishing and recreation in Bozeman, MT for traumatically injured soldiers. They have an amazing video on their website that is very moving, definitely worth checking out.
- Celebrating the 75th birthday of Pudge Kleinkauf and Maggie Merriman, both instrumental in the propagation of Women’s Fly Fishing for the past 50+ years.
- Winning a sweet fly line at the raffle, and winning a whole bunch of fly fishing gear at the auction at the end of the festival!
- Thoroughly enjoying meeting a bunch of amazing women all tied together by their love of this awesome sport. All ages, all levels, all supportive and enthusiastic. Lots of laughter and lots of fun, I loved it and highly recommend any female angler to check this group out.
You can learn more about the IWFF on their web site.