Oh, Mr. Roll Cast! You’re always there for us. You might not be as glamorous as your cousin Mrs. Ninety-Feet-Onto-a-Dinner-Plate, but we still love you. Here’s why.
5 Reasons We Love the Roll Cast
- Less time false casting. You don’t distract us with supposedly sexy loops flying back and forth through the air, burning valuable fishing time. We raise our rod tip, form a little D-loop, and you’ve got as fishing again (meaning fly actually swimming in the water), almost instantly.
- Fewer tangles. Especially with multi-fly and/or indicator rigs, and especially when it’s windy, you tangle our tackle much less than your overhead brethren.
- Less work. At moderate fishing distances – which is where most fish get caught, anyhow – you get our fly in the fishing zone with much less work than an overhead cast.
- Easy for beginners. During the first few days of all of our fishing careers, you, Mr. Roll Cast, enabled us to get out to fishing distance consistently and with a lot less drama.
- Great with little backcast room. This is the only reason most ‘good’ anglers use you – but for us it’s one of 5. With a bunch of junk behind us, you never let us down.